November 25, 2016

Happy (belated) Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving is such a wonderful time for us to reflect on all that we're grateful for, and it's also a point in time towards the end of the year when you can't help but look back on all that's happened so far in the past 11 months. I know I, for one, am grateful for having a family that loves me (despite all the spats we have from time to time, but hey, that's what family's for), a BF who I consider to be my better half in most things, Teddy (a.k.a. the other love of my life), a church to go to and the liberty to follow my faith freely, my close friends, a new job, a roof over my head, clean water to drink and cook with, and the privilege of ethical eating.

The latter is one that I've come to learn more about in the past year since I've transitioned to the vegan lifestyle. In my conversations with others (both vegans and non-vegans), I came to understand one of the biggest reasons why there is such a stigma attached to being vegan: it is seen as being classist and ignorant of the fact that ethical eating is only permissible to those who can afford it. I won't deny that I myself did not think of this aspect, that those from lower income communities most likely aren't able to spend too much of their budget on groceries consisting of fresh produce, or find the time to prep and cook them either. If anything, it's probably a lot easier and cheaper to just pick up Hamburger Helper, or worse, some other microwaveable junk to make a filling meal. So in that sense, I am very grateful for the fact that I can go to Trader Joe's whenever I want and pick out groceries without having to think too much about it. In realizing this truth, I've decided that my aspiration to become a holistic nutritionist in the next few years is now taken to new heights: eventually, I would like to be able to not only provide clinical services, but also educational ones as well-- the key is to spread awareness of the importance of nutrition, make cooking an enjoyable hobby more than a chore, and to help people understand that healthy and clean eating can be possible within a budget.

Short list of what I'm grateful for got extended, all I wanted to say is that I am thankful for being vegan! It's defined who I am in so many ways, sparked many interesting discussions with different people, and inspired me to look beyond just what I eat on a daily basis.

But speaking of Thanksgiving and vegan, put two and two together, what do you get? Vegan Thanksgiving!

So this is actually leftovers from the day of, and I'm still working on it (more in the fridge for another day or two), but I don't mind, because it's SO GOOD! Apparently, 2016 really is the year of vegan after all, because up until even last year, these meatless "roasts" weren't all that popular and even long-time vegans wrinkled their nose at these products. This year, though, Trader Joe's came out with their own version, and there's also other brands that have their own line to boast (Tofurky, Field Roast, Quorn, Vegetarian Plus, to name a few)-- this list from One Green Planet includes them all:

The Best Meatless Turkey Alternatives for Thanksgiving

Of course my first go-to would have been the roast from Joe's, but because it was highly rated and it sold out, I had to resort to seeing if Whole Foods had anything. Now, I've been avoiding this place for sometime because A) most products there are pretty pricey, and B) for that reason, most of those who shop there are snooty people who can shell out $100 for just a few days' worth of food... still, Whole Foods is pretty vegan-friendly (*note: other grocery stores like Wegmans, Harris Teeter, Safeway, and even Giant, are now carrying vegan products too-- I just don't have a car to get to any of those places), so I go to Whole Foods occasionally to get specific items like nutritional yeast or specialty products like this:



I got the big full size roast for a potluck and this smaller package to save for myself later, and I'm so glad I did! Not that I'm a calorie counter, but it's nice to know that one of these guys weighs at 290 calories, 23 grams of protein (that's our recommended daily count, ladies!), and a good percentage of iron too. The one not-so-healthy part would be the sodium count, but hey, if we still want to be vegan and enjoy Thanksgiving meal too, then you gotta give somewhere ;) As is with all meatless products, you might ask what it's made out of, so if you look at the ingredients, you will see that it's essentially a variation of seitan (also known as vital wheat gluten). This ain't no mystery meat, so don't you worry!

Taste-wise, you could basically fool any non-vegan if you told them this was turkey. The texture and taste are so close to the real thing, it almost freaked me out when I first took a bite! These food scientists are getting real good out there (keep up the great work!). This turk'y is stuffed with breadcrumbs, onions, celery, and cranberries-- with the plant-based gravy poured over the entire thing (and over the mashed potatoes), it's basically a delicious roll of Thanksgiving wrapped into meatless deliciousness!! If you've ever had Chicken Cordon Bleu, then I would say that's the closest thing to this Gardein product in concept.

Here's a full plate with the sides (also leftovers): 

Roasted Veggies - 
brussels sprouts, red onion, zucchini, yellow squash, and red bell pepper seasoned with olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, garlic, oregano, thyme, and rosemary

Maple Roasted Sweet Potatoes - 
sweet potatoes roasted with cranberries and pecans seasoned with maple syrup, butter (Earth Balance), sea salt, black pepper, and ground cinnamon

Mashed Potatoes - 
no cheating with the instant kind here! mashed and whipped with the same Earth Balance butter and a dash of almond milk, with sprinkles of sea salt, black pepper, and garlic powder


Close-up of the Gardein Turk'y!!! I would treat myself to this every once in a while :P
Needless to say, not only was the potluck I went to a complete success with all of us feeling full and happy (which is a rare occasion, as the rest of my vegan buddies might agree; we're too often presented with sad salads as our only options at most potlucks unless we bring something ourselves), but I'm also enjoying these leftovers! Another added plus about having a plant-based Thanksgiving meal like this is that you won't fall prey to food coma or have to undo your pants afterward because this is nowhere nearly as heavy, gross, or fatty as the actual turkey meal.

Food aside, it's truly amazing how this vegan movement has spread and moved forward so quickly, and I say this with regards to not only the expanding food options for vegans, but also the influence that the movement has on so many people. It is helping people grasp the fact that healthy eating can be tasty, one does not have to be compromised for the other. Healthy eating also does not have to be expensive, but that's something we need to continue to prove for people to believe it! With this year having brought about so many positive changes, I can only be even more excited for what the next year and the coming years after that may bring, as we continue to spread awareness and education. 

With that, here's to many more things to be thankful for in the future! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note! I would love to hear your thoughts :)